Saturday, June 9, 2012

Entry 8: Sheltered Lesson

I really enjoyed watching the sheltered lesson, I was a little confused as to what a sheltered lesson was until I watched it. After I watched it I had a much better understanding of the term "sheltering instruction" as it is talked about in the text. (I had a hard time getting the videos to play as well.)
 
Pre-Reading
 
-- Objectives were clarified and understood.
-- Went over the strategies they already knew.
-- The teacher checked for prior knowledge
-- Vocabulary was defined
-- She had the students review the directions with her while she read them aloud (for the visual learner)
-- Words that were or could be hard for ELL students to understand were pointer out explicitly
-- Had the students "visualize" ("I wonder..?)
 
Reading
 
-- Students did a picture walk
-- Teacher made a connection to the story then had the students make a connection
-- Students are participating and not just sitting there "zoning" out because they do not understand what it going on or what is being said
-- Teacher gave adequate time for the students to process, eliminate other thoughts and answer
-- Repetition, repetition, repetition
-- Students "define" the story and relate it to the "birthday song" they use in their own culture
-- Uses visual aids - overhead projector
 
Post-Reading
 
-- Teacher reviewed what strategies they used during their reading
-- Vocabulary was re-defined
-- Summarizing
-- "Post-it" board for all the students questions and thoughts (very interesting and it seemed beneficial)
 
I looked at this lesson as a way to incorporate "sheltered instruction" in a every day lesson, not matter the subject. I am really glad I was exposed to this type of teaching instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment